Hair loss around the face affects 90 % of males and females during the aging process. While the most common request among patients is to restore their frontal hairline, when attention is directed to hair loss on the lateral hairlines (sides) patients say, “I never really thought about that”. Curiously, many hair restorations specialists also ignore hair loss in the temples. While it is a more difficult restoration it is the most effective way to restore a naturally youthful look. When restoring lateral hairlines all three layers must be restored in a step-down, layering fashion to achieve a natural look. This requires experience, understanding of aesthetic design and very skilled assistants to meticulously place individual follicular units. Facial Framing procedures can be very successful and result in the “ten years younger look”!
Now there is a proprietary method that is a “purified form of Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) and RELeV amniotic fluid, which are combined to form a regenerative complex that goes beyond PRP formulas alone”.
PRP involves taking a small amount of your blood, then concentrating and separating the blood components, producing Platelet Rich Plasma. Four percent of our blood is made of platelets and on the surface of the platelets are as many as 1100 growth factors or proteins, that when concentrated, are capable of regenerating human cells.
The growth factors work in numerous ways to improve and regenerate hair by providing nutrition and promoting new blood supply to the follicle; increasing hair shaft size. Additionally, studies show the growth factors in PRP reduce inflammation in the scalp and turn on follicular stem cells.
RELeV is an FDA regulated amnion fluid allograft rich in regenerative proteins and growth factors with an extra cellular matrix. Amnion fluid contains various proteins that support cell proliferation, movement and differentiation. Amnion fluid also contains collagens, amino acids, lipids, carbohydrates, cytokines, extracellular matrix molecules such as hyaluronic acid and fibronectin cells in addition to other chemical compounds that are needed for tissue protection and repair.
The advantage of combining PRP with RELeV for hair improvement is an immediate burst of growth factors (nourishing proteins) from PRP and then a delayed action release over time of the growth factors from RELeV.
Benefits of Treatment
- Because PRP is composed of your own blood cells, there is no chance for an allergic reaction or for rejection by your immune system
- Hair regrowth takes place at a natural pace over 3 to 4 months, for a more subtle improvement in appearance
- Beneficial for both men and women
- Procedure takes less than an hour as an in-office procedure
- Use of small gauge needles and local anesthetic eliminates pain
- No downtime; normal activities may be resume immediately
Our kits are able to get the highest concentration of platelets (94%), which translates to a powerful growth factor “cocktail” with a variety of growth factors and cytokines. This stimulates cellular proliferation and tissue regeneration. Because the platelets contain vital growth hormones, PRP injections are naturally a good fit for stimulating lost hair follicles. The platelets are injected through the region that is thinning/balding which supplies the nutrients it requires to continue growing a thicker, fuller and healthier hair strand.
1. We use the most advanced technology to be able to get the highest concentration ofplatelets per treatment, 94% actually, that allows for faster results
2. We use both injection and microneedling techniques to penetrate the most amount of growth factors and platelets into the scalp, which has proven to yield the best results.
3. Minimal discomfort, our customized topical numbing cream consists of betacaine, tetracaine and lidocaine, which means you won’t feel much during the treatment.
Who is a good candidate for Hair Restoration treatments?
Hair loss occurs for many reasons. Genetics, stress, medications, even vitamin deficiencies can cause hair loss or thinning. Anyone who is noticing a receding hairline, a widening part, or excessive shedding is a good candidate for PRP hair restoration. (At this time, however, it is not a good option for people who are completely bald.) The therapy is most effective during the early stages of hair loss, when you start noticing less volume in your hair and more volume on your brush.
What can I expect?
A few lab tests will be required prior to your first treatment. The purpose is to detect common hormonal causes of pattern baldness in both men and women allowing for the customization of hair restorative treatments. This simple blood test can help determine androgen levels including testosterone and dihydrotestosterone (DHT), Thyroid, adrenal hormones and other important bio-markers that can hair growth and treatment outcomes. These results will also allow us to customize a bio-peptide topical cream that will be used in between treatments to give patients the best possible outcome.
Who is not a good candidate for Hair Resoration?
Patients with history of heavy smoking, drug and alcohol use. Medical diagnosis such as platelet dysfunction syndromes, thrombocytopenia, hemodynamic instability, sepsis, acute and chronic Infections, chronic liver disease, anti-coagulation therapy, chronic skin diseases or cancer, metabolic and systemic disorders. Also, if the hair follicles are entirely lost, the treatment will not work. Patients who have lost their hair follicles require hair transplant surgery.
What is the Treatment Schedule?
After the initial treatment, 4 follow up treatments are recommended, scheduled 1 month apart.
When will I see results?
After 3-4 treatments have been completed at monthly intervals you will begin to see new hair growth. PRP Hair Restoration Stimulates hair growth but the results take time. You should not expect visible results before you have completed this treatment cycle. Thereafter the hair growth will continue. Maintenance treatments are highly recommended 1-2 times per year depending on your response.
What are common causes of hair loss?
1. Androgenic Alopecia- More than 95% of hair-loss in men is due to this condition. Women can also be affected by this common type of hair loss.
2. Thyroid Imbalances- Thyroid hormones when unbalanced can affect hair loss.
3. Poor Nutrition- Usually complete baldness is not seen in people with nutritional deficiencies, thinning of the hair is more common. Studies show that limited food intake and deficiencies in certain nutrients can cause thinning. These include deficiencies of biotin, amino-acids (protein), zinc, and iron. Consuming a diet high in animal fat, such in fast food, can also have a negative effect on hair loss.
4. Stress-Stress has been shown to restrict the blood supply to capillaries which prevents oxygen and nutrients from reaching the hair follicle which can prevent hair growth. This effect is similar to having poor circulation.
5. Medications-Some medications can cause hair loss, especially medications which affect hormone levels. These medications include contraceptive pills, some forms of hormone replacement therapy, anabolic steroids, and acne medication. Other medications which can have an effect on hair loss include those for blood pressure problems, diabetes, heart disease, and cholesterol.
What if my labs come back and I am losing hair due to hormonal imbalances?
Thyroid, testosterone, dihydrotestosterone (DHT) and adrenal hormones will be analyzed along with other important bio-markers. Compounded thyroid restoration is available for patients diagnosed with hypo or hyper thyroid. We also offer bio-identical hormone restoration for aging men and women who have a deficiency or imbalance of sex, adrenal, thyroid, and pituitary hormones. We want you to get the best results and discovering and fixing the root cause of why you have hair loss in the first place is always going to be an important step in helping our patients reach optimal results.